Mattermost, one of Y Combinator's top 100 companies
, provides an open source enterprise-grade messaging platform to the world’s leading organizations that allows teams to collaborate securely and privately anywhere. With over 10,000 server downloads / month our customers include Intel, Samsung, Affirm, The US Department of Defense and more. Our private cloud solutions offer secure, configurable, highly-scalable messaging across web, phone and PC with archiving, search, and deep integrations with hundreds of SaaS and on-premises technologies. Headquartered in Palo Alto, California, our company serves customers around the world with a distributed organization spanning the globe.
high impact work, ownership, self-awareness and being focused on customer success. If these values match who you are, we hope you'll learn more about working at Mattermost
and come talk to us!
About the Role
Working in open source means your work is publicly visible. Your code will receive both credit and constructive critique from the community. With the right mindset and support these can lead to you a highly positive working environment and making the best engineering decisions of your career. Core committers include highly skilled volunteer developers from the community, staff employed by enterprises deploying and investing in Mattermost, as well as staff employed by Mattermost, Inc.
We are looking for a best in class Front End engineer to ensure that our on-line web application is in-your-face awesome. We need a Developer with a passion and eye for design, both visual and technical, and a demonstrated talent to help us craft a user experience that is second to none.
- You will be responsible for creating top notch, accessible, user-centric visual web experiences
- Play a pivotal role in setting direction and standards for a large open source project
- Guide, review and support open source contributors and community members
- Work closely with fellow engineers across the stack in addition to designers and creative experts to turn wireframes and visual designs into functional prototypes
- Design, develop and maintain core components as part of a larger Design System
- Solve problems in a collaborative work environment with amazing co-workers
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related
- 5+ years of experience in web application design and development
- Write thoughtful, high quality code
- Communicate clearly, especially in writing
- Experience creating enterprise-grade websites and web applications that are scalable, manageable and performant
- Deep understanding of mobile-first and responsive design
- Experience writing automated unit, integration and end-to-end tests
- General tools/skills: Github, Jira, CircleCI, Figma, Cypress or equivalent
- Work effectively while remote, with the ability to travel 2-3 times per year for week-long off-site meetings with team members
- Experience working in open source communities
We're looking for someone who wants to help us build the future of Mattermost and improve the way the world communicates. The right person in this role has the opportunity to have a huge impact on Mattermost the product, and its many users worldwide, but also on our open source community that has been key to Mattermost's success. If this sounds like you - please apply!