Apply for this job
At Shopify, we build products that help entrepreneurs around the world start and grow businesses. We’re the world’s fastest-growing commerce platform and we have no plans of slowing down. Mobile is increasingly becoming the main experience for our merchants and buyers. To continue to grow quickly, we need a strong engineering leader to bring our Mobile efforts to the next level. We recently announced our mobile strategy around React Native.
Mobile is not a single team at Shopify, it’s prevalent across how many teams interact with our merchants and buyers. In Q4 of 2019, 68% of our buyers purchased on mobile. Every business wants to manage their store on their phone and every buyer wants to be able to browse and checkout wherever they are.
Joining Shopify as a Principal Engineer, you’ll have the opportunity to use your experience and technical accomplishments to help shape the future direction of Mobile at Shopify. You’ll become a trusted advisor across the company and be charged with helping to make complex, strategic decisions that impact our product roadmap, as well as Mobile Engineering as a whole.
Through your focus on Mobile, you’ll work with our engineering leaders to design and implement effective ways to power mobile experiences across Shopify. You will also play a key role in considering the creation and advancement of new infrastructure and capabilities that enable our ecosystem of developers to better serve the unique needs of our next 1M+ merchants and 200M+ buyers.
You’ll thrive on the technical and creative challenges that come with working with established systems and plotting a course of impactful, progressive enhancement towards a final vision. You are keen to share your experience and expertise with those around you, and multiply your impact through thoughtful teaching, influence, and example.
- Work closely with key stakeholders to define the vision and roadmaps for key areas of our Mobile products and infrastructure
- Own complex performance, foundation and tooling problems with a focus on the Mobile experience
- Own and/or influence important architectural decisions and help inform roadmaps and business needs across the disparate Mobile teams and the larger Shopify engineering leadership team
- Mentor Staff level Engineers and individual contributors
- Act as a sounding board for broader architectural challenges and lead by example, driving engineering quality and excellence through your work.
- React Native and/or deep expertise in mobile development
- Still writing code
- Experience deploying large scale mobile apps
- Loves building things from scratch but can also make large technology improvements in existing systems
- Enjoys having impact via technology and small teams vs. purely management function
- Experience helping build teams and attracting top technical talent through influence and networking
This posting will close on April 1st 2020. This is not an April Fools joke.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.