Artsy’s mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world. Artsy has created the world’s largest two-sided art marketplace, with more than 1,000,000 works by 100,000 artists from 4,000 of the world’s leading galleries, auction houses, art fairs, and institutions across 190 countries.
At Artsy, engineers work closely with our Product and Design teams to create a world-class user experience that allows our growing community to discover, buy, and enjoy art. You’ll be joining an engineering team that is building the world's largest marketplace for art. Our team believes in open source by default, invests in psychological safety, and constantly improving our tools and processes. The Artsy engineering team is centered around learning, knowledge sharing, in addition to both personal and team development.
We’re looking for an experienced front-end engineer with an impressive track record in building complex applications. The ideal candidate is someone who has committed themselves to products over multiple releases and shipped software as an individual contributor or technical lead in a very strong team. We’re looking for someone to join our Engineering team who is passionate about beautiful code and inspiring products, and is looking for an opportunity to build something that users love.
- Build the world’s largest online art marketplace that connects galleries, collectors, and auction houses across the globe.
- Build user experiences with our frontend stack, which includes React/Relay, React Native, TypeScript and Jest.
- Employ Artsy's open-source design system and well-maintained tools to create complex interfaces that users love.
- Write testable code and contribute to integration tests.
- De-silo engineers and leverage your impact by sharing what you have learned via team presentations, blog posts, pair programming, and other avenues.
- Own your dependencies by interfacing with the open source community to solve problems when necessary.
Approximately 3 years of professional experience with some or all of the following:
- Building responsive and modern user interfaces. Experience with TypeScript and React is appreciated.
- Displays an understanding of large systems in which you played an integral role, and can discuss tradeoffs and decisions made in the development of those systems.
- Excited about writing clean well-tested code.
- Participating in several open-source projects and maybe having maintained a few.
- Understands the tradeoffs between "done" and "perfect" (and favors the "done" end of the spectrum).
- Has strong opinions, loosely held. They will change our team, and our team will change them.
- Can work both independently and collaboratively within a dynamic engineering org to initiate and promote best-practices across the team.
- Feels resonance with our engineering principles.
Artsy empowers a global audience to learn about, discover, and collect art. Our mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world.
We partner with leading museums, international galleries, auction houses, and art fairs to create the world’s largest marketplace for art, transforming one of the last industries to fully embrace technology by creating a more accessible and connected digital landscape for art consumption.
Artsy is a company with a culture that naturally empowers its employees to do their best and most creative work. We are working to expand access to the art world, deepen passion and engagement with art and those who create it, and impact culture on a global scale. At Artsy, we envision a future where everyone is moved by art everyday.
At Artsy there are no specific work hours or policies, no pointless bureaucracy. We only care that you achieve inspiring results and are a joy to work with. This means you must be highly energetic, enthusiastic, and resourceful—no problem is too big or too small for you to tackle. You will enjoy both responsibility and autonomy in your work.
WORKING AT ARTSY
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
Art x Science: We believe in uniting empathy with logic, emotion with data, and intuition with research in everything we do. Whether in business strategy or design, culture or code, we seek the magic that happens when the often separate worlds of art and science come together.
People are Paramount: We spend extraordinary energy finding the best person for a job—and once found, we give them the trust and autonomy to be CEO of their role. We avoid pointless bureaucracy and prefer to empower people with information rather than limit them with process.
Quality Worthy of Art: We aim to create an experience worthy of all the world’s art and so hold ourselves to the highest standards in all our work. We believe that the best long term quality comes from rapid shipping, iterating, and learning as we go.
Positive Energy: We know positivity and optimism benefit our work, and we harness positive energy as a vehicle towards greater awareness, growth, and collaboration. We believe in cultivating a positive relationship to art as opposed to one based on exclusivity or scarcity.
Openness: We believe in being open with each other and the world—whether in open-sourcing our code, sharing feedback, or building a diverse and inclusive work culture. We believe in bringing our full selves to work and manifesting an open world where everyone has access to art.
Artsy is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.