Apply for this job
Who we are:
Rover.com connects pet parents with the world’s largest network of pet sitters and dog walkers. On Rover, pet parents can easily discover, book, and manage personalized care for their dogs including pet sitting, dog walking, and doggy day care. Founded in 2011 on the belief that everyone should have the opportunity to experience the unconditional love of a dog, Rover improves and simplifies life for pet parents and the dogs they love.
Our global headquarters are in Seattle, Washington in the United States, working closely with our teams in Spokane, Berlin, London, and Barcelona. We have a track record of being recognized as a great place to work, having been named among Seattle's 'Best Places to Work' in Seattle Business Magazine and the Puget Sound Business Journal for three years running. We're an agile, fast-growing company, and our leadership comes from some of the world's most respected tech companies. Our pioneering approach to people and pups alike landed us on the list of GeekWire’s Next Tech Titan in 2019 and the World's Most Innovative Companies in 2018 by Fast Company. Needless to say (but we're going to say it anyway)—we love dogs, and we wouldn't dream of going to work without them by our sides.
What we’re looking for:
We’re looking for an experienced engineer to play a leadership role in a key technical strategy investment for Rover: cross-platform code sharing through React Native. As the client platform team, our mission is to help the broader engineering team deliver features to our users faster and code-reuse is a key pillar of that mission.
Over the last year, we’ve built foundational platform components, developed pilot features, and created a technology roadmap to bring React Native to maturity in our technology stack, but there is still a long way to go. As a senior engineer on our team, you will bring your deep native and React Native experience to bear by mentoring other engineers, building out platform components, and partnering directly with other teams to deliver features to Rover users using React Native.
- Design, build, and evolve the React Native platform at Rover
- Partner with teams across the company to help onboard engineers to the technology and build features
- Gather feedback from engineers on potential platform improvements and inform roadmap priority
- Evangelize and document React Native best practices
- Building a Pet Profile in React Native - partnering with another team, the client platform team will help to bring new Rover features to life in React Native
- Improving Data Sharing Interfaces - find ways for our React Native platform to integrate better into our native application by creating and iterating on robust data sharing interfaces between React Native and native
- 5+ years of professional development experience
- Deep experience on at least one native platform (iOS or Android)
- Experience playing a leadership role in large or cross-team projects
- Excellent communication skills
- Excited to learn new things and take on big challenges
- React Native Experience a plus
- We are proud to be professional software developers building high quality, scalable and supportable solutions
- We embrace progressive engineering practices including a continuous deployment pipeline and automated testing. Our engineers just merge their branch and it ships
- We're serious about the quality of our production operations, and employ thorough system, application, and user interaction monitoring and anomaly detection
- We're data-driven and believe in informing many of our decisions through experimentation
- Our feature teams represent small autonomous business units with developers, product managers, and designers working side-by-side
- We are friendly, supportive and respectful, and we pay attention to the impact and quality of our work as well as keeping work/life balance
- And, dogs in the office!
Benefits of Working at Rover.com
- Competitive compensation
- Stock options
- 4 weeks paid time off
- Competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Bring your dog to work (and unlimited puppy time)
- Doggy benefits, including $1000 toward adopting your first dog
- Stocked fridges, coffee, soda, and lots of treats (for humans and dogs)
- Free catered lunches semi-monthly
- Regular team activities, including happy hours, snow tubing, game nights, and more
- 50 free dog walks a year (Seattle only - for now!)
Rover is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting a diverse, inclusive and inventive environment with the best employees. We’re driven by seeing our people succeed and grow, and we work to ensure everyone contributes to their fullest potential. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, protected veteran status, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.