Food52 is a fast-growing and award-winning kitchen and home brand. Through our unique contextual commerce approach, we give our community of over 13 million cooks and home enthusiasts everything they need to eat thoughtfully and live joyfully — from curated products to test kitchen-approved recipes.
We're looking for a Senior Front-End Software Engineer who loves to write code in a collaborative team environment. Promising candidates have a solid foundation in front-end development, testing, strong knowledge of common architectural patterns and have expanded their skills over time. As much as they love to code, they are also contributors, supporters, mentors and active participants in making our platform better, easier to use, and more innovative every day. The ideal candidates have an eagerness to experiment, a determination to contribute strongly, and a drive to recognize problems and work with the team to resolve them while always maintaining a sense of humor.
Our product and engineering team consists of the product managers, designers, and engineers who build the systems that Food52 uses to produce amazing editorial content and a shopping experience that delights our users. Our team of software engineers works with our VP of Engineering as well as our product team to design and develop systems that run Food52.com
. Our website is currently written in Ruby on Rails; on the client side we use React and are implementing Graph QL to integrate the two more seamlessly. We're always looking to innovate and try new things.
- Write code to implement new features in our custom content-and-commerce platform while maintaining code integrity
- Refactor code to make it better, faster and more resilient and add to our ever expanding automated testing suite.
- Help our team improve the quality of our code through thoughtful collaboration, code reviews, and other software engineering best practices
- Collaborate with team members in designing the architecture of new features, estimating their cost and planning implementations while always keeping reliability and maintainability in mind
- Mentor and develop less experienced engineers
- Deliver on time and communicate status, issues and concerns effectively throughout the lifecycle of a project.
- Lead technical initiatives as necessary by documenting, planning, gaining consensus and working closely with product managers
- 5+ years experience writing code in a professional environment with increasing responsibility
- Solid background in web technologies, including a deep understanding of how a modern web application works end to end and how applications perform under load
- Highly skilled in modern CSS techniques such as Flexbox, BEM, and grid. Should also have experience using a CSS preprocessor like SASS or LESS
- Broad experience optimizing front-end components with overall performance considerations and SEO principles in mind
- Experience in mobile first, responsive web design
- Experience implementing design particulars from a specification
- Comfortable leading front-end architectural design and implementation on a team of engineers
- Experience participating in Agile processes
- Ability to handle schedules and priorities and communicate appropriately about them
- E-commerce experience and a love of food and cooking, a plus
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision benefit options (including some that are free for you!), flexible spending account, and any-time access to professional mental health advice
- Annual bonus plan
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Free life and AD&D insurance
- No tracking of sick or vacation days (ask us about Summer Week & Winter Week!)
- Discounted gym memberships and a free Citibike membership
- Pre-tax commuter benefit plan
- Flexible hours and working arrangements
- So many snacks!
- An ever-flowing giveaway table, featuring kitchenware, cookbooks, Leftover Flower Fridays, and more
Food52 hopes to recruit and advance qualified minorities, women, LGBTQ, persons with disabilities, and veterans—we welcome and encourage all applicants. Our goal is for our team and culture to reflect the diversity of the global community of home cooks.