Memrise is an award-winning language learning system with over 40 million users. Specialising in combining cognitive science, powerful tech and entertaining content, Memrise makes language learning genuinely recreational. We offer 200 language combinations across 24 languages on our website, iOS and Android apps. By leveraging lots of brain science and plenty of humour, we’re striving to enrich people’s consciousness and help people achieve confident, real-world language skills in just a few short months.
We have ambitious plans to grow the company and have been working on exciting new developments that will shape how our brand and products will look in the future. And this is where you fit in! We’re looking for a Frontend Software Engineer to join the team and help us create fast and responsive web interfaces that will delight millions of people. This role gives a unique opportunity to play a significant part in reshaping our web product with a fresher, more exciting design and will allow you to stretch your skills thanks to the interesting technical challenges that will come with this.
Being a part of a small, focused team, you will be working closely with other engineers, a designer and a product manager towards both improving the existing experiences and building new ones.
In this Role, you'll:
- Develop user interfaces of our web products.
- Work with designers and be involved in the early stages of the design process.
- Help shape our design system, and improve the quality of our frontend code.
- We’re using React for web frontend, with Next.js to serve those page universally.
- On the backend we’re using Python 3, Django, Kubernetes, Aurora, Redis, ElasticSearch and Kinesis.
- We practice Continuous Delivery, comprehensive testing, trunk based development, and automate everything.
- We’re fans of keeping things as simple as possible and being open minded about new ideas and new technologies.
What’s it like being an engineer at Memrise?:
Memrise engineers are creative generalists who work autonomously in product-oriented cross-functional teams. The engineering team together is small and dynamic, with an emphasis on ownership, impact and people over processes. We run hackathons every quarter; some of our prominent features were originally creative hacks.
We have smooth, refined user interfaces to build that our users will adore; a fun, varied game-like core to our experience, which we’re iterating playfully; the challenges of meeting the needs of millions of users per day from across the world; and the big data to process and feed into our adaptive learning algorithms.
You might be a good fit if you:
- Have built usable web interfaces that form great product experiences.
- Have experience with React, or similar modern frontend libraries such as Angular, Vue.js
- Are comfortable making responsive, accessible and cross-browser code.
- Have an interest in and passion for design and UX.
- Thrive in dynamic, collaborative environments, without a lot of process and procedure holding you back.
If you aren’t completely confident that you fit our exact criteria, please get in touch nevertheless. Humility is a wonderful thing and we’re not interested in hiring ‘rockstars’ or ‘ninjas’. And we're just as interested in character as in talent.
- Share options, so you can retire on an island
- Generous Learning and Development budget for training, conferences, books and L&D leave
- Flexible working options (time-wise, plus we have standing desks)
- Private health insurance with Vitality, and related perks (50% off a Virgin and Nuffield Health Gym memberships)
- Dental Insurance with Unum
- Breakfast (the most important meal of the day)
- Snacks (the most enjoyable meal of the day)
- A startup-suitable array of teas and coffees
- Bi-weekly team lunch with Feastly
- Language classes with in-office tutors
- Pet friendly office and pet-petting colleagues
- Cycle-to-work scheme
And plenty more fun you’re welcome to ignore, including: dodgeball, meditation, football, running club, board games, and boxing classes.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. If it’s okay, we’re not going to list examples of people and groups we don’t discriminate against. We don’t discriminate, full stop. We celebrate.
What’s it like to work here?:
Interesting. Fun. Challenging. Serious. Odd. Silly. It just depends on the day, really. But whatever day it is, we love what we do: helping people all around the world learn more about languages, new cultures and each other. They use our app to broaden their minds and horizons. And that feels pretty good.
You’ll join our London team of open-minded, big-hearted, goal-oriented ‘Memrisers’, made up of linguists, developers, designers, marketers and more, all working together to do great things. Get in touch if you want to join the team.